It is said that the Estonian ship building scene is not only remarkable because of its success, but also because of the little number of people that have achieved it.
The Estonian ship and boat manufacturing is diverse, covering row- and motorboats made from various hull materials, sailing yachts, motoryachts and working boats. Estonian boat- and shipbuilding companies are mainly focussed on manufacturing small series and special projects.
Thanks to good contacts and the smallness of Estonia, clustering with educational and research institutions, companies and local governments is working well. The high quality and innovativeness of the local leisure and workboat building create a great opportunity for efficient and flexible testing of manufacturing technologies and materials.
Observations from the ship and boat building survey carried out by the Association of Estonian Marine Industries in 2016:
- the Estonian leisure boat building is focussed on exports – 80% of the sales revenue comes from abroad.
- Most important export markets are Sweden, Germany and Finland.
- Boat and ship manufacturers pay higher than the average salaries in their regions, and more than 400 people are working in the Estonian ship building companies.
- The added value of ship and boat manufacturing companies per employee is one of the highest in Estonia.
- Based on the Estonian shipbuilding and leisure boat building sector, a serious network of associated companies with a high added value has emerged that manufacture ship components, models and forms (Composite Plus, Mouldtech, Muvor, Hilmaa). Also, the emerging and development of shipbuilding engineering offices (MEC, Foreship, SRC, Baltic Workboats) and know-how services (SCC towing tank and ship design services) is worth mentioning.
The biggest and most known boat and ship building companies as well as most important actors in related sectors are listed in section MEMBERS.
The Association of Estonian Marine Industries is a member of the European Boating Industry.